From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID>
Subject Re: Does Zipkin need to sign a SGA ?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2018 06:29:18 GMT
+1 with a minor addendum.

Smallish contributions do not constitute own Intellectual Property Rights if they do not pass
the bar for the 'threshold of originality'.
Of course this bar is a grey area. But it's afaict established sense that small bugfixes,
and minor contributions (no whole feature) does not pass this bar.

So in practice you only need the written ACK from people who contributed a more impacting
feature or enhancement.

Example: Fixing a spelling error or clarifying an existing sententence does now constitute
originary IP. Adding a whole page of documentation surely does.
And inbetween is a grey area.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 19.09.2018 um 03:09 schrieb Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi Mick,
>
> tldr; with my Incubator PMC hat on, "all that needs to be done" is to establish that
all of the copyright owners sign either a Software Grant or an ICLA.

> In order to establish that Apache has the rights to the code base, every line of code
needs to have its provenance researched.

> Looking at the proposal https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ZipkinProposal it seems like
most of the code is in the github repository https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin . Is there
any code coming from another source? Was the original code from Twitter granted to OpenZipkin?
Is there any documentation of that copyright transfer? Does Twitter retain any rights?

that the only committers to the project are listed at https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin/graphs/contributors
?

> The proposal also says that "All source code is copyrighted to 'The OpenZipkin Authors',
to which the existing core community(members list in Initial Committers) has the rights to
re-assign to the ASF. "

> It looks like there were many people who contributed a few lines of code. Did they sign
anything like a Contributor Agreement that grants their copyright to The OpenZipkin Authors?

> Craig
>
>> On Sep 18, 2018, at 4:58 PM, Mick Semb Wever <mck@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>> It's come up that the migration of the github Zipkin repositories to ASF requires
either a signed SGA or a sign-off from the Secretary. Chris raised this on `INFRA-16989 –
Zipkin incubator project request for the GitHub repositories moving service`.

>> I was under the impression that if the Copyright was already held by the community,
it is held by 'The OpenZipkin Authors', that the ICLA from all those authors would suffice
and a SGA not be required. And it's news to me that this would also require a sign-off from
the ASF Secretary.

>> What's the correct process here? who can help? should I forward the question to the
Secretary?