From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does Zipkin need to sign a SGA ?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2018 01:09:31 GMT
Hi Mick,

tldr; with my Incubator PMC hat on, "all that needs to be done" is to establish that all of
the copyright owners sign either a Software Grant or an ICLA.

In order to establish that Apache has the rights to the code base, every line of code needs
to have its provenance researched.

Looking at the proposal https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ZipkinProposal it seems like most
of the code is in the github repository https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin . Is there any
code coming from another source? Was the original code from Twitter granted to OpenZipkin?
Is there any documentation of that copyright transfer? Does Twitter retain any rights?

The capitalization of the "Initial Source" section is a bit strange. But can we assume that
the only committers to the project are listed at https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin/graphs/contributors
?

The proposal also says that "All source code is copyrighted to 'The OpenZipkin Authors', to
which the existing core community(members list in Initial Committers) has the rights to re-assign
to the ASF. "

It looks like there were many people who contributed a few lines of code. Did they sign anything
like a Contributor Agreement that grants their copyright to The OpenZipkin Authors?

Craig

> On Sep 18, 2018, at 4:58 PM, Mick Semb Wever <mck@apache.org> wrote:
>

> It's come up that the migration of the github Zipkin repositories to ASF requires either
a signed SGA or a sign-off from the Secretary. Chris raised this on `INFRA-16989 – Zipkin
incubator project request for the GitHub repositories moving service`.

> I was under the impression that if the Copyright was already held by the community, it
is held by 'The OpenZipkin Authors', that the ICLA from all those authors would suffice and
a SGA not be required. And it's news to me that this would also require a sign-off from the
ASF Secretary.