From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC2
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2018 04:18:09 GMT
Hi,

I’m not involved in your project, and I may be mistaken, but it seems to me you might have
a wider issue here.

> Besides that, because many users are using git clone tag as sources too, although in
Apache, we consider our source tar only. But in the community, they really use in another
way, in our github issue, many compiling issue, even after we put this detailed guide.

So point them to the official releases and don’t promote the use of GitHub over other official
channels, especially to users. I was surprised by that page when I saw instructions for GitHub
first. Why would your users want to use unreleased source code? That should really only be
for active contributors and committers on the project.

> Background story is, in our project repository, we are using git submodule, so we need
the guide as detailed as possible. Such as git submodule init, git submodule update, etc.

Sounds to me like it's easier to compile official releases and that you should be trying to
release more often perhaps?

Thanks,
Justin