From <r...@gardler.org>
Subject RE: Incubator Workshop
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2018 21:59:46 GMT
Would such a course seek to teach the principles or the rules?

I ask because your original proposal says " making and voting on releases and voting on committers
into the projects". There are no ***rules*** about having to vote. There are principles about
how to build and recognize consensus. But, despite what much of the incubator documentation
says, there are no formal rules about it.

I'm 100% for teaching people the principles of consensus building around releases and honoring
people with committership. Even better if such a course gave concrete examples of how different
communities apply those principles in different ways. However, I'm 100% against an opinionated
piece that gives the impression that there is only one way to do things here in Apache. We
already have way too much of that in Incubator docs.

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 3:54 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Incubator Workshop

Hi,

> For my part, most courseware is just an *extremely* slow form of
> reading. I really don't need to have somebody read to me.

I tend to agree I also prefer to read something than watch a video, when I do I using speed
it up. However different people learn in different ways. Currently we have a couple of ways
people learn this stuff; from the website, by guidance by mentors, discussion on mailing lists,
and possibly from conferences or conference recordings. I’ve just finished a qualification
in adult learning and some of the biggest takeaways from it was people learn in differs ways
but learn best when exposed to a a variety of ways and the effectiveness of the “do it fast”,
“do it slow”, “let them do it” method for learning practical skills.

Thanks,
Justin