From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dealing with Unresponsive Mentors
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2018 23:33:57 GMT
There was a long thread about absent mentors a few months ago[1]. The consensus on the thread
seemed to be to introduce some metrics. I was and am skeptical of that approach because it
requires constant attention from the IPMC.

The solution I advocated in that thread is to encourage podlings to ask for help if they are
not getting service from their mentors. And perhaps to add a "Have your mentors been helpful
and responsive?” question to the report template.

Julian

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e80a611ea233a5f854aae5f63374e6490af70a5ecbe886874111037c@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e80a611ea233a5f854aae5f63374e6490af70a5ecbe886874111037c@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E>

> On Aug 29, 2018, at 1:46 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> What is the process of essentially off-boarding unresponsive and inactive
>> mentors with the sole aim of attracting new mentors who can inject life
>> into various aspects of podling maturity?
>
> I’d just ask them if they can continue in the role or still have the cycles to help.
If they can’t continue or are unresponsive then just ask for more mentors for the project
on this list.