From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Committer/PPMC votes
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2018 00:29:07 GMT

> On Jun 21, 2018, at 5:20 PM, Hen <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I’m wondering what a -1 means on a committer vote.
>
> https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html says “and no vetoes”, while
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html does not list a new committer
> vote as a “technical” vote.
>
> My assumption is that the rules for voting for an Apache member are the
> same as for voting for a PMC member or a committer. Ideally there are no
> -1s, but at the end of the day it’s a majority vote.
>
> ie: I think newcommitter.html is buggy.

Agreed. It does not discuss having a [DISCUSS] thread before the [VOTE]. It is important to
do that because then an objection (-1) can be discussed properly. There can be many reasons
that a PMC member might object and these need to expressed. Not doing so might lose PMC members
and hurt the community.

I wanted to give this advice recently and was rather disappointed that I could not find documentation
about an actual [DISCUSS] thread.

Regards,
Dave