From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2018 19:30:13 GMT
I can see the IPMC being responsible for IP clearance for new incoming podlings and current
podlings.

For code being donated directly to a current TLP, they should be able to do all that is required
to ensure correct clearance and provenance.

In other words, unless the code is for a podling, the IPMC shouldn't be involved, IMHO.

> On Jun 4, 2018, at 1:46 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Hi -
>
> I think that the IP Clearance process has become very much a bureaucratic process where
the IPMC is contributing little of value. Very seldom is there any feedback provided.

> (1) It is separate from the SGA process for new podlings, but it is similar in that the
Secretary will record the SGA and/or CCLA.
> (2) The documentation is confusing about whether or not podlings need to follow it or
not.
> (3) Top Level Projects are supposed to understand how to clear IP as that is a major
part of the incubation process. If there are any questions the legal-discuss mailing list
and JIRA are available.
> (4) The Incubator is already stretched to provide Mentoring to all of our Podlings and
IP Clearance seems to be off topic and not really scalable.
> (5) Once a TLP graduates from the Incubator it seems regressive to have to go back unless
there is a Community around the grant to be Incubated. That would lead to a Podling Proposal
and not IP Clearance.