incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jun Liu <liu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.2 [RC1]
Date Mon, 21 May 2018 06:32:22 GMT
> 1. there is bunch of dubbo-2.6.2-SNAPSHOT  in the pom.xml file, I guess the
> maven release plugin doesn't take all of them.
> .//bom/pom.xml:      <tag>dubbo-2.6.2-SNAPSHOT</tag>
> .//dependencies-bom/pom.xml:      <tag>dubbo-2.6.2-SNAPSHOT</tag>
> .//distribution/pom.xml:        <version>2.6.2-SNAPSHOT-SNAPSHOT</version>
> .//pom.xml:      <tag>dubbo-2.6.2-SNAPSHOT</tag>
> 
> 2. I checked the source zip[1], it is not same with github tag one[2].
> There are some log files and empty directories which is not in the git
> repo, I guess it relates to the builder's workspace.
> It could be addressed by generate the source release kit in the
> distribution like we did here[3].

We rely on the release and assembly plugin to finish these works, there may have some inappropriate
plugin configuration. I will check the problems you mentioned and fix them by following your
guides.

> 3. I tried to build the source from kit, it looks the check style is
> enabled when since JDK 1.8 and I just got the out of memory error there.
> I found there are comment about this check style issue (it takes lots of
> time and it doesn't work on my box). So I created an issue[4] of it.
> I can build the source by modify the pom to skip the check style check, but
> it kind of hiking , so I had to vote -1 (binding) for it.

During the internal dubbo community vote, Justin, Huxing and Ian also reported the checkstyle
plugin problem (cost time and resources) when build. Since this problem has confused you and
maybe others from building the source, we plan to solve this problem and start a new round
of voting.
 
> 4. I checked the binary kit, it only includes the jars file of dubbo[5], as
> we cannot provide the apache maven release now, it could cause some trouble
> for the user to consume the binary without third party dependencies. Do we
> have any plan for it ?

Besides the apache binary release, we will also publish the convenient maven artifacts to
the central maven repository, which are not mentioned in this vote thread since it’s not
a necessary part of the apache release. This way, users can consume from the central repository
as before. 
In the next release, when the groupid change to “org.apache.dubbo”, we will switch from
central maven repository to apache maven repository, and will include the apache maven staging
repo address in the vote. The current binary zip, as you point out "only includes the jars
file of dubbo[5]”, will be removed or replaced with more meaningful bin release, such as
samples or quick start guides which users can help users start the journey of dubbo quickly.

To conclude, we decide to start a new round of voting regarding the problems found during
this round. Thanks for the vote.

Best regards,
Jun

> On 21 May 2018, at 10:34 AM, Willem Jiang <willem.jiang@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I did some check on the source zip and binary zip, the License and Notice
> files looks good. But I also found some issues here.
> As I cannot build the binary without doing some changes on the pom file, I
> had to vote -1 (binding) here.
> 
> Here are the issues that I found:
> 
> 1. there is bunch of dubbo-2.6.2-SNAPSHOT  in the pom.xml file, I guess the
> maven release plugin doesn't take all of them.
> .//bom/pom.xml:      <tag>dubbo-2.6.2-SNAPSHOT</tag>
> .//dependencies-bom/pom.xml:      <tag>dubbo-2.6.2-SNAPSHOT</tag>
> .//distribution/pom.xml:        <version>2.6.2-SNAPSHOT-SNAPSHOT</version>
> .//pom.xml:      <tag>dubbo-2.6.2-SNAPSHOT</tag>
> 
> 2. I checked the source zip[1], it is not same with github tag one[2].
> There are some log files and empty directories which is not in the git
> repo, I guess it relates to the builder's workspace.
> It could be addressed by generate the source release kit in the
> distribution like we did here[3].
> BTW, it's quite important that every one can build the kit by following the
> instruction. I didn't found the instruction file from the README.
> 
> 3. I tried to build the source from kit, it looks the check style is
> enabled when since JDK 1.8 and I just got the out of memory error there.
> I found there are comment about this check style issue (it takes lots of
> time and it doesn't work on my box). So I created an issue[4] of it.
> I can build the source by modify the pom to skip the check style check, but
> it kind of hiking , so I had to vote -1 (binding) for it.
> 
> 4. I checked the binary kit, it only includes the jars file of dubbo[5], as
> we cannot provide the apache maven release now, it could cause some trouble
> for the user to consume the binary without third party dependencies. Do we
> have any plan for it ?
> 
> Another tip for the release check is running some applications which is
> build on the top of the framework to make sure all the distribution is good.
> 
> 
> [1]
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/dubbo/2.6.2/dubbo-incubating-2.6.2-source-release.zip
> [2]https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/archive/dubbo-2.6.2.zip
> [3]
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-servicecomb-saga/blob/master/saga-distribution/src/assembly/src.xml
> [4]https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/issues/1821
> [5]
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/blob/2.6.2-release/distribution/src/assembly/release-bin.xml#L43
> 
> 
> 
> Willem Jiang
> 
> Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (English)
>          http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
> Twitter: willemjiang
> Weibo: 姜宁willem
> 
> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 5:26 PM, Jun Liu <liujun@apache.org> wrote:
> 
>> Hello All,
>> 
>> This is a call for vote to release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) version 2.6.2.
>> 
>> The Apache Dubbo community has voted on and approved a proposal to release
>> Apache Dubbo (Incubating) version 2.6.2.
>> 
>> We now kindly request the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
>> incubator release.
>> 
>> Apache Dubbo™ (incubating) is a high-performance, java based, open source
>> RPC framework. Dubbo offers three key functionalities, which include
>> interface based remote call, fault tolerance & load balancing, and
>> automatic service registration & discovery.
>> 
>> Dubbo vote thread:
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2292dfa6698c97550419ca547c8cd9
>> 71bae8c88c440ef277314c841f@%3Cdev.dubbo.apache.org%3E
>> 
>> Dubbo vote result thread:
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/701b3d436920eea3030f2a977eb1d3
>> 826774bc96e0b1d8b1d09a2ce8@%3Cdev.dubbo.apache.org%3E
>> 
>> The release candidates:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/dubbo/2.6.2
>> 
>> Git tag for the release:
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/tree/dubbo-2.6.2
>> 
>> Hash for the release tag:
>> afab04c53edab38d52275d2a198ea1aff7a4f41e
>> 
>> Release Notes:
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/blob/2.6.2-release/CHANGES.md
>> 
>> The artifacts have been signed with Key : 28681CB1, which can be found in
>> the keys file:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/dubbo/KEYS
>> 
>> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until necessary number of
>> votes are reached.
>> 
>> Please vote accordingly:
>> [ ] +1 approve
>> [ ] +0 no opinion
>> [ ] -1 disapprove with the reason
>> 
>> Thanks.
>> Jun Liu,
>> The Apache Dubbo (Incubating) Team
>> 
>> 
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>> 
>> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message