From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.1.0-rc3
Date Thu, 10 May 2018 23:42:54 GMT
Hi -

+1 (binding) with a couple of areas for improvement.

Source - hashes and signatures are good.

I’m finally reviewing this release and in looking at the NOTICE and LICENSE there are many
copyrights/required notices that are in the LICENSE instead of the NOTICE. Breaking these
apart properly is difficult, but needs to be done before your next release.

RAT Check:
  ./daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/org/apache/daffodil/util/UniquenessCache.scala
  ./daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/passera/numerics/package.scala
  ./daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/passera/unsigned/package.scala
  ./daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/passera/unsigned/SmallUInt.scala
  ./daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/passera/unsigned/UByte.scala
  ./daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/passera/unsigned/UInt.scala
  ./daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/passera/unsigned/ULong.scala
  ./daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/passera/unsigned/Unsigned.scala
  ./daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/passera/unsigned/UShort.scala
I recognize that all of these have headers that have been copied to the LICENSE.

Binaries - hashes and signatures are good.
LICENSE and NOTICE are more correct in the Binaries than the Source.
Tgz and Zip unpack identical project jars, but for the NPM they are the same size but diff
reports they are not identical. I’m going to think of this as an artifact of how I unpacked
rpm2cpio | cpio

TO DO:
(1) Fix Source NOTICE and LICENSE
(2) Handle the 2 test files.
(3) Improve Rat Check. Probably by including sbt-rat in project with addSbtPlugin("org.musigma"
% "sbt-rat" % "0.5.1”) and updating .rat-excludes.

Regards,
Dave

> On May 10, 2018, at 11:39 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Justin/Steve,
>
> Apologies as its very confusing looking at this email thread trying to understand what
the current state of the vote is.

> From what I understand:
>
> - Two files were included in the release that are Cat-X
> - These were supposed to be relicensed, but doesn't sound like that happened
>
> Or was it corrected that these two files are UoI NCSA licensed?  If these files are Cat-X
I would also vote a -1 since we cannot release with clear Cat-X contents (we can release with
Cat-X dependencies, but the contents can't be Cat-X).