From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Pulsar Release 2.0.0-rc1-incubating Candidate 3
Date Mon, 14 May 2018 18:16:11 GMT
Hi -

> On May 14, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Sijie Guo <guosijie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 7:49 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 13 May 2018 at 12:10, Matteo Merli <mmerli@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The code in question is testing a feature that takes Jars from a user and
>>> execute the code contained. Indeed the Jar should not be in the sources,
>>> though I believe the test is correct here: we need to validate the
>> specific
>>> feature by dynamically loading a Jar.
>>>

>> By generating the binary jar from source files at test time, you'd avoid
>> bundling any binary output files.
>>

> I made the original change long time back in pulsar-functions for testing
> submitting user-defined function. When we first contribute pulsar-functions
> to pulsar, we probably didn't clean that up.
> The intention behind that change is not including any source code or jar in
> the test dependency tree. As including source code would make the testing
> function as part of the test dependency, it would volatile the purpose of
> testing submitting a user defined function. In this case,
> "multifunction.jar" is the a "user-defined" function as the test resource.

To be succinct The ASF produces open source software and including a pre-compiled binary in
the release means that the project fails the open source definition. [1]

It really doesn’t matter how or why. You will need to provide the source (as simple as it
might be) and the maven configuration to build that trivial jar.

Regards,
Dave

[1] https://opensource.org/osd