From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Crail 1.0-incubating (RC2)
Date Thu, 10 May 2018 19:10:29 GMT
Here’s a tar file where every file is in a sub-directory:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/calcite/apache-calcite-1.16.0/apache-calcite-1.16.0-src.tar.gz
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/calcite/apache-calcite-1.16.0/apache-calcite-1.16.0-src.tar.gz>

I couldn’t find any examples under dist/release with files in the root directory, so I made
a couple, and put them on my web server. In the first, directory names are preceded by “./“
because I created using “tar cvfz /tmp/ament.tar.gz .”. In the second, there are no prefixes.

http://www.hydromatic.net/ament.tar.gz <http://www.hydromatic.net/ament.tar.gz>

http://www.hydromatic.net/ament2.tar.gz <http://www.hydromatic.net/ament2.tar.gz>

My personal tool of choice for browsing tar.gz files is emacs. Things look the same on macOS,
linux or windows (Cygwin).

Julian

> On May 10, 2018, at 11:42 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>

> Julian,
>
> On 2018/05/10 18:40:12, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org <mailto:jhyde@apache.org>>
wrote:
>> I agree about the missing DISCLAIMER file and the missing disclaimer in README.md.
-1 until those are fixed.

>> Regarding directories, I disagree. Common practice is to have everything (including
NOTICE, README and DISCLAIMER) in a directory that is named after the release. If you do otherwise,
you make it more difficult for the user to clean up if they accidentally unzip the file in
the wrong place.

>> In my opinion Crail should have called that directory “apache-crail-1.0-incubating”,
not “incubator-crail”.

> Weird.  Again, I've been using mac for a while (hate being back on windows so much),
is this a windows thing?  I've been reviewing mostly tar.gz files recently and I can't think
of any that have a nested directory.  But it could be my mac was cleaning things up.

> Do you have some examples I could look at to see the difference?
>

>> Julian
>>

>>> On May 10, 2018, at 10:26 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, it could be that I'm back to windows and no idea what I'm doing (I've grown
to be a mac user), but there's a root incubator-crail folder that's in the zip.  We typically
expect the LICENSE/NOTICE/DISCLAIMER at the root.

>>> Speaking of, there is no DISCLAIMER file and the README.md does not include the
incubating disclaimer text.  One of those two needs to exist.

>>> I reviewed other stuff (rat output, notice file entries, headers,etc).  That
looks fine.  If you can fix the disclaimer and repack to not the extra directory I'll vote
+1, but I'm -1 without that.  Disclaimer is the one thing we mandate, and i cannot budge on
that.  I will verify the sig once you send me the keys file location.