From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Griffin-0.2.0-incubating [RC3]
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2018 04:29:23 GMT
Hi,

in Java (org.json:json:20140107 - https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-java <https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-java>)
> It is transitive dependency from org.apache.hive:hive-metastore:jar:1.2.1 (The Apache
Software License, Version 2.0), we use hive metastore APIs and mentioned in pom.xml, but did
not use org.json libraries directly. And it is bundled after built in runtime.
> - I also checked license file of hive, it announced JSON license for org.json library.
(https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/release-1.2.1/LICENSE#L308 <https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/release-1.2.1/LICENSE#L308>)

JSON license was made a category X license a year or two ago. [1] [2] ALv2 content depends
on something with a category X license unless it’s optional or for some build tools. [3]
PMC’s were given some time to comply with this and perhaps a more recent version of Hive
does?

> For those CDDL and EPL licenses dependencies, we also just need them in runtime.

And being category B that would be fine but they shouldn’t be mentioned in the source license.
[4] The license file for the source release and the binary is likely to be different.

> The dependencies are not bundled in the source code, so we don't need to announce any
dependencies' licenses in source release?

Correct.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#json