From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: The role of a mentor
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2018 14:32:22 GMT
+1

> On Apr 9, 2018, at 12:45 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Has anyone here taught someone how to fish? (Or how to make cookies, or ski?)
>
> Mostly you just stand off, watching what they do. If you see them about to screw up in
a big way, step in. Occasionally, offer them hints for how they might do what they’re doing
a little bit better. (Not too often, because they’ll start to resent the advice.)

> It’s a time-intensive process, and most of the time the person being taught thinks
you’re doing nothing.

> Sometimes they ask for help, and very occasionally they ask for guidance (but only if
you have not given them more unsolicited advice than they think they need, see above).

> Julian
>

>> On Apr 9, 2018, at 5:52 AM, Liang Chen <chenliang6136@gmail.com <mailto:chenliang6136@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> +1, agree with JB points.
>> Mentor mostly just focus on ASF policy and rules, then is ok.
>> "Teach him how to fish", it is more important, so it would be better if
>> mentors could provide some good example cases(role model) for them to learn,
>> tell them how to find the solution from ASF website.
>>
>> Regards
>> Liang
>>
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> IMHO, a mentor is not necessary involved in the project technics/codebase
>>> (it's
>>> actually a bonus).
>>>
>>> As a mentor, I'm focusing:
>>> 1. Insure of the legal aspect of the project (ICLA/CCLA, SGA, ...)
>>> 2. Help around infra and release preparation according to Apache rules
>>> 3. Help to promote the project and build communities around
>>> 4. See if there's potential interaction with other podlings and existing
>>> TLPs
>>> 5. Help to go to graduation (following the graduation checklist)