From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Who has the experiences to assemble NOTICE file?
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2018 22:03:40 GMT
Hi,

I guess you have read [1]? But basically you should do this:

- Take the boilerplate NOTICE [2]
- Update the year to the current year
- Did your code come in via a software grant, then add that (relocated copyrights).[3]
- Is there any 3rd party code contained / bundleded inside the release? If so:
	- Is any of the code Apache licensed and do they have a  NOTICE files?  If so:
		- Pplace relevant parts of those NOTICE to your NOTICE file. [4]

(There's also required notices but they are very rare [5] and you probably don’t need to
worry about them).

Things to watch out for:
- License information should not be mentioned in NOTICE (that information goes in license)
- Software dependencies should not be mentioned in NOTICE
- Copyrights from licenses generally do not go in NOTICE.

Take care if you copy one of the more “popular" TLP projects and use that, as some are poor
examples or are confusing as they have had issues with upstream project NOTICE files.

This worked  example may also help [6][7] as may this talk [8] I gave the last ApacheCon.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
2. https://www.apache.org/licenses/NOTICE-2.0.txt