From Chris Lambertus <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Self Serve & IPMC Members
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2018 21:11:46 GMT
I am specifically referring to the creation of git repos with my reply, nothing else. You are
correct in that the other selfserve.a.o tools for Jira, Confluence, lists, etc., are pmc-chairs,
root, and secretary only. We will try and be more accurate about the karma specifics when
closing issues as being “self service.”

-Chris

> On Mar 9, 2018, at 1:07 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Chris,
>
> As far as I know, self serve is for more than just git repos.  It also supports JIRA
requests, confluence, mailing lists.  Each of these are also chair only and where the issue
comes in.

> John
>
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 4:04 PM Chris Lambertus <cml@apache.org <mailto:cml@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> On Mar 9, 2018, at 2:47 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org <mailto:johndament@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> Hi Infra
>>
>> Just as a heads up, there's an on going thread on general@incubator about podling
setup.  One of the assumptions is that all IPMC members can use Self Serve [1] [2], however
that is not the case.  I have updated the mentor guide to tell people to use the old way (JIRA
tickets) if they cannot use it.

> IPMC members can technically create GITBOX repos, although they may not see the podling
in the dropdown if they are not associated (in LDAP) with the podling. PPMC members can create
GITBOX repos for their associated projects.

> Only pmc-chairs, root, and secretary can create GIT-WIP repos.
>

> https://selfserve.apache.org <https://selfserve.apache.org/> is for creating GIT-WIP
repos.

> https://gitbox.apache.org <https://gitbox.apache.org/> is for creating GITBOX (r/w
github) repos.

> The miscommunication is in the selection of git-wip vs. gitbox repos. We have generally
been asking that all new podlings go on gitbox, but there is clearly some confusion regarding
the “self-serve” nomenclature and who can do what (including within infra!)

> We’ll try and update the documentation on the actual self-serve pages to make it more
indicative of the karma requirements, but I hope this clears up the issue for the Incubator.
If you find any of the above to not be the case, please let Infra know so we can sort it out.