Hi, Ian, thanks for your details answer. Alibaba dubbo original team is worthy of respectable for opensource dubbo, Dangdang and other companies do a good job to maintain on fork like Dubbox project. If no original team maintaining after opensource, maybe it's will give troubles to customers who start used, because not all customers have the ability to fix complex technical issues and implement new features. Tengine project have the same problem which is also opensource from Alibaba original team (https://github.com/alibaba/tengine/issues/921).

It's very glad to see Alibaba dubbo original team realize the mistake and plan to keep the community more healthy. I think original team is also important for an opensource project. Diversity means neutrally, not means keep moving without original team.

Thanks.

Hi Shengqiu,

Indeed Dubbo has not been actively maintained for years since it’s publicly released in 2012. During this period, the fact is Dubbo kept expanding its user base and got quite popular in China’s market. We realize this is a mistake, and now open-sourcing is our most important strategy.

In order to keep the project and the community healthy, we decide to donate Dubbo to Apache. We believe Dubbo project can keep moving forward by running with the Apache way with or without Alibaba’s engineering team.

This is just my two cents, and hope to answer the concern from your and many others :)

Cheers,

-Ian.