From "Dong Li"<lid...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept ECharts for Apache Incubation
Date Sun, 14 Jan 2018 10:37:37 GMT
+1 (non-binding)

Thanks,
Dong Li

Original Message
Sender:Kevin A. McGrailkmcgrail@apache.org
Recipient:generalgeneral@incubator.apache.org
Date:Friday, Jan 12, 2018 21:13
Subject:[VOTE] Accept ECharts for Apache Incubation

Hi All, I would like to start a VOTE  I vote +1 to bring the ECharts project in as an Apache
incubator podling. The ASF voting rules are described: https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
A vote for accepting a new Apache Incubator podling is a majority vote for which only Incubator
PMC member votes are binding. This vote will run for at least 72 hours. Please VOTE as follows
[ ] +1 Accept ECharts into the Apache Incubator [ ] +0 Abstain. [ ] -1 Do not accept ECharts
into the Apache Incubator because ... The proposal is listed below, but you can also access
it on the wiki: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/EChartsProposal Regards, KAM ECharts Proposal
Abstract ECharts is a charting and data visualization library written in JavaScript. Proposal
ECharts provides a powerful, interactive charting and data visualization library and framework
for web browser, mobile App and backend usage. Background A primary goal of data visualization
is to communicate information clearly and efficiently via statistical graphics, plots and
other graphics. Numerical data may be presented in dots, lines, or bars, to visually communicate
a quantitative message. Effective visualization helps users to analyze data .It makes complex
data more readable, understandable.[1] Now data visualization concerns mainly about presentation
and propagation in web, ECharts uses JavaScript as its basic programing language. It brings
great compatibility across multiple platforms, not only in web browsers, but also in mobile
Apps via embedded web engine or in backend environment via the techniques of headless browser.
Rationale ECharts encapsulates the underlying data transformation, control flow, visual encoding
and rendering, receiving the visualization requirements with declarative language, and produces
interactive charts and components. We will highlight the features below to illustrate the
power that ECharts already has, and our concerns and our visions:  User Diversity: ECharts
expects that its users are not only web developers, but also people with lesser programing
skills. So ECharts enables users to describe data and settings with declarative language,
which lowers the barrier but without losing the power, and benefit to transfer and store.
 Configurable Interactions: ECharts has provided plenty of interactions and aims at providing
more. Both human interactions and the interactions with upper program are supported and can
be configurable.  Large Data: Although the browser environment and JavaScript bring some performance
limits in visualizing large data or performing animations, ECharts have been adopting various
optimization techniques to rise the upper limit of the amount of data that it can process,
and keep improving the fluency of interactions and animations.  Cross-Platform: The underlying
render engine of ECharts can be switched between HTMLCanvas, SVG, or VML, which provides good
compatibility and brings opportunities to optimize performance according to different platform
and usage scenarios. Besides, ECharts can also works in backend environment via headless techniques.
ECharts can be created using headless browsers to pregenerate reports on more powerful machines
for better performance on resource-limited devices  Extension and Customization: ECharts provides
extension mechanisms to make new types of chart and components, adopt other layout algorithms,
or even adopt other render techniques. Various developers have contributed different types
of extensions based on ECharts.[2] Current Status ECharts has been an open source project
on GitHub[3] since 2013. Currently it has more than 20k stars, more than 50k monthly downloads[4]
in NPM, and is one of the most popular repositories in topic of data visualization category
in GitHub.[5] And it has been used in many products of Baidu and other companies such as Alibaba,
Tencent, Netease, XinHua News Agency,National Bureau of Statistics of China, Sina, State Grid
Corporation of China, Lenovo, Ctrip etc. Meritocracy The ECharts project already operates
on meritocratic principles. It was originally created by Lin Zhifeng in 2013,adding developers
worldwide and has accepted multiple major patches from a diverse set of contributors. We will
follow ASF meritocratic principles to encourage more developers to contribute in this project.
We know that only active and committed developers from a diverse set of backgrounds can make
ECharts a successful project. We are also improving the project documentation and code to
help new developers to get started quickly. Community ECharts has been building an active
community for the last four years. Currently, the community includes over 50 contributors
. The core developers of our project are listed below. Core Developers  Su Shuang (https://github.com/100pah
sushuang0322@gmail.com )  Shen Yi (https://github.com/pissang shenyi.914@gmail.com )  Zhang
Wenli (https://github.com/Ovilia me@zhangwenli.com )  Li Deqing (https://github.com/deqingli
annong035@gmail.com)  Dong Rui (https://github.com/erik168 errorrik@gmail.com) Alignment ECharts
is popular in data visualization and charting on web projects. And ASF has many famous web
projects and big data related projects. We believe that ASF is a perfect choice to help ECharts
project to attract more developers and have more cooperation with existing projects. Known
Risks Orphaned products Given the current level of investment in ECharts and the stakeholders
using it - the risk of the project being abandoned is minimal. Baidu, for example, is in active
development to use ECharts in many of its services and many large corporations including Alibaba,
Tencent, Huawei, Sina, Lenovo use it in their production applications. Inexperience with Open
Source ECharts has been an active open source project for more than 4 years. During that time,
the project has attracted 50+ contributors. Homogenous Developers The most of core developers
are from Baidu, but after ECharts was open sourced, ECharts received a lot of bug fixes and
enhancements from other developers not working at Baidu. And the founder of ECharts,Lin Zhifeng
still contributes a lot after he left Baidu. Reliance on Salaried Developers Although some
of the developers are salaried, the project is personally initiated from the beginning. The
core developers have been dedicated to this project for four years and have kept the project
independent with developers around the world involved. Relationships with Other Apache Products
There are several existing Apache projects that using ECharts already, including:  Apache
Eagle  Apache Griffin (Incubating)  Apache Kylin  Apache SkyWalking (Incubating) A Excessive
Fascination with the Apache Brand Our interests and motivations are based on the factors mentioned
in the Rationale section rather than the publicity. Furthermore, the brand of ECharts has
been successful in the past years on their own and we would be happy to keep on this path.
We are honored at getting the opportunity to join the ASF, with the understanding to ensure
its brand policies are respected.Also we expect that Apache brand will help to attract more
contributors. Documentation [1] Data Visualization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_visualization
[2] ECharts Extensions: https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts#resources [3] ECharts Information:
https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts https://ecomfe.github.io/echarts-doc/public/en/index.html
[4] ECharts in NPM: https://www.npmjs.com/package/echarts [5] GitHub Data Visualization Topic:
https://github.com/topics/data-visualization Initial Source ECharts has been developed since
2013. It currently has an active developer and user community with a codebase in JavaScript.
We currently use Github to maintain our source code and track issues at https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts
We need to move our respository to Apache infrastructure. Source and Intellectual Property
Submission Plan ECharts source code is available under BSD-3 license and owned by Baidu. We
will work with the committers to get ICLAs signed. We will provide a Software Grant Agreement
from an authorized signer per https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf
External Dependencies All The dependencies are released under Apache compatible licenses,
including BSD and MIT. Required Resources Mailing List: There are currently no mailing lists.
dev@echarts.incubator.apache.org commits@echarts.incubator.apache.org Git Repositories: Upon
entering incubation: https://github.com/apache/incubator-echarts After incubation, we want
to move the existing repo from github/ecomfe/echarts to Apache infrastructure. Issue Tracking:
ECharts currently uses GitHub to track issues. there are more than 7k issues. Would like to
continue to do so while we discuss migration possibilities with the ASF Infra committee. URL:
Currently the website url is https://ecomfe.github.io/echarts-doc/public/en/index.html. It
will be moved to http://echarts.incubator.apache.org/ to follow incubator conventions. Initial
Committers  Lin Zhifeng (https://github.com/kener kener.linfeng@gmail.com)  Su Shuang (https://github.com/100pah
sushuang0322@gmail.com)  Shen Yi (https://github.com/pissang shenyi.914@gmail.com)  Zhang
Wenli (https://github.com/Ovilia me@zhangwenli.com)  Li Deqing (https://github.com/deqingli
annong035@gmail.com)  Wang Junting  Dong Rui (https://github.com/erik168 errorrik@gmail.com)
 Huang Houjin (https://github.com/chriswong wfsr@foxmail.com) Sponsors: Champion:  Kevin A.
McGrail Mentors:  Daniel Gruno  Kevin A. McGrail  Dave Fisher  John D. Ament Sponsoring Entity
We are requesting the Incubator to sponsor this project. -- Kevin A. McGrail Asst. Treasurer
 VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation Chair Emeritus Apache SpamAssassin Project