From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept ECharts for Apache Incubation
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:32:10 GMT
+1 (binding)

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 12, 2018, at 5:13 AM, Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgrail@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to start a VOTE & I vote +1 to bring the ECharts project in as an Apache
incubator podling.

> The ASF voting rules are described:
>
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
>
> A vote for accepting a new Apache Incubator podling is a majority vote for which only
Incubator PMC member votes are binding.

> This vote will run for at least 72 hours. Please VOTE as follows
> [ ] +1 Accept ECharts into the Apache Incubator
> [ ] +0 Abstain.
> [ ] -1 Do not accept ECharts into the Apache Incubator because ...
>
> The proposal is listed below, but you can also access it on the wiki: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/EChartsProposal
>
> Regards,
> KAM
>

> ECharts Proposal
>
> Abstract
>
> ECharts is a charting and data visualization library written in JavaScript.
>
> Proposal
>
> ECharts provides a powerful, interactive charting and data visualization library and
framework for web browser, mobile App and backend usage.

> Background
>
> A primary goal of data visualization is to communicate information clearly and efficiently
via statistical graphics, plots and other graphics.

> Numerical data may be presented in dots, lines, or bars, to visually communicate a quantitative
message. Effective visualization helps users to analyze data .It makes complex data more readable,
understandable.[1]

> Now data visualization concerns mainly about presentation and propagation in web, ECharts
uses JavaScript as its basic programing language. It brings great compatibility across multiple
platforms, not only in web browsers, but also in mobile Apps via embedded web engine or in
backend environment via the techniques of headless browser.

> Rationale
>
> ECharts encapsulates the underlying data transformation, control flow, visual encoding
and rendering, receiving the visualization requirements with declarative language, and produces
interactive charts and components. We will highlight the features below to illustrate the
power that ECharts already has, and our concerns and our visions:

>     User Diversity:
>
> ECharts expects that its users are not only web developers, but also people with lesser
programing skills. So ECharts enables users to describe data and settings with declarative
language, which lowers the barrier but without losing the power, and benefit to transfer and
store.

>     Configurable Interactions:
>
> ECharts has provided plenty of interactions and aims at providing more. Both human interactions
and the interactions with upper program are supported and can be configurable.

>     Large Data:
>
> Although the browser environment and JavaScript bring some performance limits in visualizing
large data or performing animations, ECharts have been adopting various optimization techniques
to rise the upper limit of the amount of data that it can process, and keep improving the
fluency of interactions and animations.

>     Cross-Platform:
>
> The underlying render engine of ECharts can be switched between HTMLCanvas, SVG, or VML,
which provides good compatibility and brings opportunities to optimize performance according
to different platform and usage scenarios. Besides, ECharts can also works in backend environment
via headless techniques.

> ECharts can be created using headless browsers to pregenerate reports on more powerful
machines for better performance on resource-limited devices

>     Extension and Customization:
>
> ECharts provides extension mechanisms to make new types of chart and components, adopt
other layout algorithms, or even adopt other render techniques. Various developers have contributed
different types of extensions based on ECharts.[2]

> Current Status
>
> ECharts has been an open source project on GitHub[3] since 2013. Currently it has more
than 20k stars, more than 50k monthly downloads[4] in NPM, and is one of the most popular
repositories in topic of data visualization category in GitHub.[5] And it has been used in
many products of Baidu and other companies such as Alibaba, Tencent, Netease, XinHua News
Agency,National Bureau of Statistics of China, Sina, State Grid Corporation of China, Lenovo,
Ctrip etc.

> Meritocracy
>
> The ECharts project already operates on meritocratic principles. It was originally created
by Lin Zhifeng in 2013,adding developers worldwide and has accepted multiple major patches
from a diverse set of contributors.

> We will follow ASF meritocratic principles to encourage more developers to contribute
in this project. We know that only active and committed developers from a diverse set of backgrounds
can make ECharts a successful project. We are also improving the project documentation and
code to help new developers to get started quickly.

> Community
>
> ECharts has been building an active community for the last four years. Currently, the
community includes over 50 contributors . The core developers of our project are listed below.

> Core Developers
>
>     Su Shuang (https://github.com/100pah sushuang0322@gmail.com )
>
>     Shen Yi (https://github.com/pissang shenyi.914@gmail.com )
>
>     Zhang Wenli (https://github.com/Ovilia me@zhangwenli.com )
>
>     Li Deqing (https://github.com/deqingli annong035@gmail.com)
>
>     Dong Rui (https://github.com/erik168 errorrik@gmail.com)
>
> Alignment
>
> ECharts is popular in data visualization and charting on web projects. And ASF has many
famous web projects and big data related projects. We believe that ASF is a perfect choice
to help ECharts project to attract more developers and have more cooperation with existing
projects.

> Known Risks
>
> Orphaned products
>
> Given the current level of investment in ECharts and the stakeholders using it - the
risk of the project being abandoned is minimal. Baidu, for example, is in active development
to use ECharts in many of its services and many large corporations including Alibaba, Tencent,
Huawei, Sina, Lenovo use it in their production applications.

> Inexperience with Open Source
>
> ECharts has been an active open source project for more than 4 years. During that time,
the project has attracted 50+ contributors.

> Homogenous Developers
>
> The most of core developers are from Baidu, but after ECharts was open sourced, ECharts
received a lot of bug fixes and enhancements from other developers not working at Baidu. And
the founder of ECharts,Lin Zhifeng still contributes a lot after he left Baidu.

> Reliance on Salaried Developers
>
> Although some of the developers are salaried, the project is personally initiated from
the beginning. The core developers have been dedicated to this project for four years and
have kept the project independent with developers around the world involved.

> Relationships with Other Apache Products
>
> There are several existing Apache projects that using ECharts already, including:
>
>     Apache Eagle
>     Apache Griffin (Incubating)
>     Apache Kylin
>
>     Apache SkyWalking (Incubating)
>
> A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand
>
> Our interests and motivations are based on the factors mentioned in the Rationale section
rather than the publicity. Furthermore, the brand of ECharts has been successful in the past
years on their own and we would be happy to keep on this path. We are honored at getting the
opportunity to join the ASF, with the understanding to ensure its brand policies are respected.Also
we expect that Apache brand will help to attract more contributors.

> Documentation
>
> [1] Data Visualization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_visualization
>
> [2] ECharts Extensions: https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts#resources
>
> [3] ECharts Information: https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts https://ecomfe.github.io/echarts-doc/public/en/index.html
>
> [4] ECharts in NPM: https://www.npmjs.com/package/echarts
>
> [5] GitHub Data Visualization Topic: https://github.com/topics/data-visualization
>
> Initial Source
>
> ECharts has been developed since 2013. It currently has an active developer and user
community with a codebase in JavaScript. We currently use Github to maintain our source code
and track issues at https://github.com/ecomfe/ECharts We need to move our respository to Apache
infrastructure.

> Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan
>
> ECharts source code is available under BSD-3 license and owned by Baidu. We will work
with the committers to get ICLAs signed. We will provide a Software Grant Agreement from an
authorized signer per https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf

> External Dependencies
>
> All The dependencies are released under Apache compatible licenses, including BSD and
MIT.

> Required Resources
>
> Mailing List:
>
> There are currently no mailing lists. The usual mailing lists are expected to be set
up when entering incubation:

> private@echarts.incubator.apache.org
>
> dev@echarts.incubator.apache.org
>
> commits@echarts.incubator.apache.org
>
> Git Repositories:
>
> Upon entering incubation: https://github.com/apache/incubator-echarts After incubation,
we want to move the existing repo from github/ecomfe/echarts to Apache infrastructure.

> Issue Tracking:
>
> ECharts currently uses GitHub to track issues. there are more than 7k issues. Would like
to continue to do so while we discuss migration possibilities with the ASF Infra committee.

It will be moved to http://echarts.incubator.apache.org/ to follow incubator conventions.