From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Policy Quiz
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:16:30 GMT
Thanks for having a go, Justin! We need more ways to explain license and
distribution challenges.

I also got just 1 of 5, even on multiple tries on the same questions. Also
the fact that the correct answer(s) is not shown graphically is confusing.

i thinks such a quiz should not deliberately cover all the subtleties which
as we see here we are not in 100% agreement on; that just make people
conclude that "It's too complicated".

The quiz should rather cover the obvious bits so that this could be used by
newcomers to the Incubator, rather than try to catch out ASF members.

I would avoid tricky multiple choice, except in obvious multi-things like
"which licenses allowed" (which I thought was a good, more obvious
question).

Other kind of simpler questions could be:

Which of these need to include/show LICENCE and NOTICE files for an ASF
release?

Source code release on www.apache.org/dist
Binary release zip on www.apache.org/dist
Binary JARs in Maven Central
Windows installer at Launchpad.net
OSX disk image in Apple store
Source code release in Debian

Here all of the above is right answer. I left out "Source code repository
in git" because at least in Incubator we allow slight diversions here (and
also repos would include older commits possibly pre-ASF).

Which of the below should be included in NOTICE for contributions to Apache
Foo under Apache License 2.0?

1 Apache Software Foundation
2 Apache Foo
3 Apache Foo PMC members
4 Apache Foo Committers who contributed to release
5 Contributors who submitted patches to Apache Foo
6 NOTICE of Apache-licensed code that was included from outside ASF

Only 1,2,6 are correct.

Here I left out "Other Apache Projects which code was reused" and "Code
contributed in software grant" because those can be more complicated.