From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Podling user@ lists (was: [PROPOSAL] SkyWalking - proposal for Apache Incubation)
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2017 19:51:42 GMT
On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 11:11 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 December 2017 at 18:57, Mike Jumper <mike.jumper@guac-dev.org> wrote:
>>
>> Speaking as a member of a recently-graduated podling that joined the
>> Incubator with an established user base, I think we would not have
>> done as well without a user@ list.
>
> So how did your users communicate before the podling was established?

Users communicated on forums hosted at SourceForge. Once the project
was accepted into the Incubator, a sticky was added to the forums
advising users to migrate to the user@ list. When new threads were
created in the old forums, the user would be directed to reopen the
thread on the mailing lists. Eventually, after enough time had elapsed
that people were generally using the lists instead of the forums, the
forums were closed down permanently following a final advisory sticky.

> Surely that would have continued to work during incubation even if the
> user list was not created?

Work, yes, but the podling would not have been as healthy. Gaining
experience conducting non-development user support/discussion via
mailing lists was important, and seems to me to be exactly the sort of
thing that should be done prior to graduation, not after.

- Mike