From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: Podling user@ lists (was: [PROPOSAL] SkyWalking - proposal for Apache Incubation)
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2017 22:27:16 GMT
Friday, December 1, 2017, 9:03:31 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 8:51 PM, Mike Jumper <mike.jumper@guac-dev.org> wrote:
>> ...Gaining
>> experience conducting non-development user support/discussion via
>> mailing lists was important, and seems to me to be exactly the sort of
>> thing that should be done prior to graduation, not after....
>
> What we've seen is that some podlings with smaller communities
> struggle to have enough traffic to have both a dev and a user lists.
>
> For those, or if unsure, it's better to have just a dev list, to avoid
> fragmenting the community.

I just would like to add that nowadays StackOverflow is certainly a
better place to ask simple questions, so we (FreeMarker (Incubating))
for example encourage users to put their questions there (and we don't
have a user list). A mailing list is sinply an outdatged medium for
that purpose. Of course, for longer discussions like feature requests, we
encourage subscribing to the dev list or use Jira.

> However if a podling is convinced that they need a user list I think
> that's perfectly fine.

 Daniel Dekany