From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release 1.5.1 of NetBeans HTML/Java API
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2017 09:31:09 GMT
On 20 November 2017 at 08:27, Jaroslav Tulach <jaroslav.tulach@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 19 November 2017 at 16:52, Jaroslav Tulach <jaroslav.tulach@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > True, I've added the tag yesterday when the vote was approved:
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans-html4j/tree/release-1.5.1
>> >

>> IMO the tag should be created first, and the RC created from it.
>>

> I can try it for next release.
>
> However when working on the first Apache version (e.g. 1.5) of HTML/Java
> API such approach wouldn't be very practical. The tag would have to be
> moved few times, and it is better to avoid moving of tags in a repository.
> As such I needed the review to be finished before creating the tag. Now,
> when most of the structural issues have been discussed and resolved, we can
> optimistically tag before creating the source ZIP file.

What we do in Commons is to use a tag with an RCn suffix.
There may be several before the vote passes.
The successful tag is copied to the GA tag.

Failed tags are generally deleted _after_ the release, as they can be
useful for comparing RCs.

But at the very least the vote mail should contain the revision hash.
That's not ideal, because AFAIK Git revisions can be squashed away.