From jonathon <toki.kant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Affiliation vs. individual
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2017 19:49:54 GMT
On 11/04/2017 06:31 PM, Gunnar Tapper wrote:

> company name involved. I don't know if it's a large problem but it's a bit
> of a contradiction to operate as an individual just to involve your employer in some
of the ASF processes.

It all depends upon the specific wording of one's contract with one's
employer. Corporate culture provides only a rough guidelines.

In the contracts I've seen, the scope has ranged from:
* only the same type of work, using the same type of tools, as used for
the job;
through
* all content, theories, and inventions created by the individual,
regardless of the position with the company, or anything else;

By way of example, the first company doesn't care if an advertising rep
writes computer software in their time away from work. They will care,
if the individual creates an advertising/marketing plan for another
organisation.  Likewise, they won't care if a staff programmer creates a
marketing campaign for a third party in their free time, but they will
care if that programmer starts writing code for third parties.

The second company will come down as hard on a janitor who creates an
advertising/marketing plan in their free time, as they will on a
programming writing code for another party in their free time, as they
will on a receptionist who writes books in their spare time.

jonathon