From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Affiliation vs. individual
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2017 23:17:15 GMT
I agree with what Dave Fisher says. I'd also prefer "unaffiliated" as the term of art to describe
a person who contributes to a project on their own time without direction or compensation
for such work from any company.

Craig

> On Nov 4, 2017, at 12:13 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Gunnar,
>
> I think that you present a reasonable scenario. We even allow individuals to use an alias
for their public names. We do want to know the real names on the ICLA.

> Rather than “private donation” I think “unaffiliated” or “” is better.
>
> As you understand we want to know affiliation as a measure of diversity for practical
reasons. We are about Community over Code and want to avoid being in a situation where a project
is unviable because a majority of the individuals were contributing through work and their
employers made other decisions. This happens all the time and is perfectly normal and expected.

> In the Incubator we want to assure that podlings are viable communities when they graduate.
In that assessment in my opinion unaffiliated committers and PMC members are truly a plus
for a community. Assuming that they can answer asking why a committer was affiliated at the
beginning of incubation and is no longer may prove the diversity of the podling. Changes in
affiliation might be good signs too.

> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> On Nov 4, 2017, at 11:06 AM, Gunnar Tapper <tapper.gunnar@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've discussed this with a few individuals but would like to raise the
>> discussion with a larger group.
>>
>> Situation
>>
>> As contributors to the ASF, we represents ourselves as individuals. Some of
>> us contribute to projects as part of our employment, some of us donate our
>> time privately.
>>
>> Discussion
>>
>> You the individual is asked to share your employer when going through
>> processes such as graduation. I get the reason: to ensure diversity in the
>> project.
>>
>> However, some of us are donating our private time and may therefore want to
>> represent ourselves as a private donor rather than involve our employeer in
>> the discussion.
>>
>> [Disclosure: I work for a company that is unlikely to have an issue with my
>> involvement with ASF projects outside what my company cares for.]
>>
>> Proposal
>>
>> Anyone that chooses to do so can use "private donation" instead of the
>> employer when representing affiliation.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gunnar
>> *If you think you can you can, if you think you can't you're right.*

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo