From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache PDFBox JBIG2 ImageIO Plugin
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2017 15:42:38 GMT
Hi Andreas,

> On Sep 24, 2017, at 10:17 PM, Andreas Lehmkuehler <andreas@lehmi.de> wrote:
>
> Am 25.09.2017 um 03:07 schrieb Craig Russell:
>> It might be useful to discuss under what terms we are considering incorporating this
code.
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/#provenance describes three types of code. If we are
preserving the original (alv2) license and copyright it's ok to redistribute it with the original
headers.
>> But if we are planning to change the headers to the standard Apache headers, then
IP provenance (with a corresponding a grant or CCLA) is needed and the headers can then be
changed.
> Levigo already did all the work. They changed the license, the headers and the java package
names as well. They asked all contributors outside the core team if they are ok with changing
the license, see [1]

Changing the license is one thing. Changing the header is quite a different thing. The Apache
header states that the code is "licensed to Apache under one or more contributor license agreements".
This means that there is an ICLA, CCLA, or grant on file from all contributors. It looks like
@dbdr and @janpe2 agree to the license change to aslv2 but we don't have an ICLA on file from
them. Are these the only two contributors at issue?

If we don't have grants (ICLA, CCLA, grant) on file, then the license headers should not be
changed, And the Apache distribution needs to preserve the copyrights of the original.

The change from the third party license header to the Apache license header should really
only be done here under Apache version control.

Craig