From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: Podlings & Apache Project Maturity Model (was RE: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache RocketMQ from podling to TLP)
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2017 14:45:53 GMT
On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 4:34 PM, Jim Apple <jbapple@cloudera.com> wrote:
> ...I think the current Model has a number of vague statements that are
> unlikely to be interpreted consistently without clarification. For
> instance "The project is open and honest about the quality of its
> code."..

That's a good example where a yes or no answer does not make much
sense. What's useful is a response like "we include a list of know
issues with each release" or "experimental or unstable modules are
clearly labeled as such" that demonstrate that the project takes
quality seriously and does not try to hide problems from their users.

I think such items help projects take a look at their overall
well-being, and at the same time they make it impossible to base
graduation on a given score based on that model - because there are no
black and white answers for those items.

So IMO we're doing the right thing in recommending that projects do a
self-assessment based on that model before graduation, yet not
requiring specific results for graduation.

-Bertrand