From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Urgent: Regarding Java package name change to org.apache.*
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2017 14:37:48 GMT

On 04/08/17 13:09, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> John D. Ament wrote on 8/4/17 7:59 AM:
>> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 7:17 AM Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> ...snip...
>>> - Other reverse domain names *really* should change to org.apache;
>>> otherwise it's just confusing.
>>>

>> Agreed.  The one caveat to all this is the implementation of javax.
>> namespace which is typically required and managed by the Geronimo TLP
>> (typically).
> ...snip...
>
> Good point - any package names where there's a well-known technical
> standard that specifies package names takes precedence for naming.
> That's what a normal user would expect, and they also (typically)
> understand there's a difference between the standard API names and the
> actual implementation of the API they've downloaded.

We seem to have lost the community impact.  Projects with a existing
pre-ASF history can have a halo of support in tutorials, books, etc (not
from the donating corp) that all contribute to the success of a project.

The principle that the project outputs come from Apache can be achieved
in various ways.  State the principle not the mechanism.

     Andy