From Wade Chandler <wadechand...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Urgent: Regarding Java package name change to org.apache.*
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2017 16:33:52 GMT

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 12:25, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> OK, so to summarize a more refined recommendation:
>
> 1) package names with reverse domains MUST be renamed before graduation or
> have an IPMC approved plan for renaming

NetBeans uses org.netbeans, and the domain is also being donated to Apache. It is not just
an IDE, but is also a rich client platform, like Eclipse, so I don’t think just a reverse
domain name should be justification for MUST. Surely part of the decision takes into consideration
the life of the project along with what that reverse domain is.

> 2) Projects who expect that their future users outnumber current users are
> highly encouraged to rename packages
> 3) Other projects are not required to rename packages and backward
> compatibility is sufficient reason to not rename packages.
>
> Or should #2 also be a MUST?

Thanks,

Wade