From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Guidance on copyrights in sample code.
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2017 00:02:46 GMT
Hi James,

Instead of including "Copyright (c) 2001, Apache Foobar Foundation" in the sample code, would
it be possible/easy to "assume the copyright notice is in a file and include the file contents
here".

That is probably how you would want to do it anyway, considering the task of updating copyright
years should be limited to one file per distribution in downstream users, similar to the single
copyright notice that an Apache project has in its distribution.

Craig

> On Jul 3, 2017, at 2:37 PM, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Need some quick guidance.
>
> On the release vote for Juneau 6.3.0, Justin Mclean made this note...
> "There's a number of "Copyright (c) 2016, Apache Foundation” in the
> documentation you may want to update the year."
>
> I tracked it down to sample code where the copyright statement itself was
> sample code.  (i.e. showing how to create an ATOM feed with an embedded
> copyright statement).
>
> Can I change it to the following so that it's not flagged in the future?
>
> "Copyright (c) 2001, Apache Foobar Foundation”
>
> Or better ideas?

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo