From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: ASF hosted binaries collecting user data without an explicit opt-in
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2017 05:20:29 GMT
On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 10:15 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recall a company that started to list out each of things NOT to do. Item
> after item after item, to develop a policy. After a few dozen such, one guy
> piped up, "this is ridiculous" ... It just isn't tractable. So he suggested
> a simple replacement:
>
> Do no evil.

Should we add that to our release policy? Will VP Legal go along with that?

Seriously, on one hand I see folks saying here that clarfiying what is and isn't
acceptable is useful. On the other hand, I see your reaction that can only
be described as "duh! what policy -- its just common sense".

I actually do not think it is common sense anymore -- I do think it needs to be
documented.

However, this won't be the first time when what I feel passionate about is
ignored by the "official ASF" -- not a biggie -- you guys are the bosses. I just
need to learn to care less.

Thanks,
Roman.