From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache HTrace 4.3.0 incubating release (rc3)
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2017 23:11:53 GMT
+1 (binding)

* xsums/sigs OK
* DISCLAIMER present
* LICENSE looks good
* NOTICE file has some unnecessary stuff, IMO:
	- "In addition, this product includes software dependencies. See the
accompanying LICENSE.txt for a listing of dependencies that are NOT
Apache licensed (with pointers to their licensing)" -- This does not
seem necessary to me. This is the "norm" IMO.
	- "Apache HTrace includes an Apache Thrift connector to Zipkin. Zipkin
is a distributed tracing system that is Apache 2.0 Licensed. Copyright
2012 Twitter, Inc." -- First off, are these two sentences related? What
component does the Twitter copyright apply to? My hunch would be the
files beneath "htrace-zipkin/src/main/java/com/twitter/zipkin". This
could be clarified in a later release.
* Could build from source (ran into troubles with htraced, but found
BUILDING.txt to help)
* KEYS contains the signing key
* Tag/commit exists in scm

For your next release...

* That Maven 3.0.4 hard requirement is rough :). Would be nice if HTrace
could move to a modern version of Maven.
* The shaded jars need work. They bundle numerous dependencies (with
their various licenses and notice requirements) but include the default
LICENSE and NOTICE files from the Apache parent pom. For reference, I
checked the htrace-hbase jar and see that Protobuf classes are included
but their license text is not included. I'm assuming the rest of the
jars also violate policy in a similar manner.

- Josh