From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Slack support?
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2017 05:18:24 GMT
On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Evan Hughes <wisebaldone@apache.org> wrote:

> Another option could be asking infra to host a rocket.chat server so we can
> control the instances.

Sorry, Evan, but hosting a chat service is not an option for
Infrastructure. That would be contrary to our work on consolidating
services.

We can have HipChat rooms for any/all projects. A simple Jira request, and
you're all set.

In short, the ASF is happy to have duplicative topics/projects because each
community may approach a problem in different ways, with different focuses.
But our Infra resources are limited, so we can't/won't stand up duplicate
services. And even better when they can be outsourced (like HipChat, and
increasingly GitHub).

Cheers,
Greg Stein
Infrastructure Administrator, ASF