From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Binary file inclusion (was [VOTE] Apache Toree (incubating) 0.1.0-rc4 as 0.1.0)
Date Sun, 22 Jan 2017 21:59:14 GMT
Hi,

> Same thread.  Specifically Mark T's response [1] and Craig's affirmation [2]

Not sure that applies here as I think we have compiled code without the corresponding source.
Can someone on the project confirm?

Even then I would expect that to be an unusual exception where there was no other way of not
including the source code. If it’s compiled it not really open source is it?

Documentation (recently changed) [1][2] has been clear that source releases should not contain
jar files. Both of these pages use to contain a release checklist that contained:
"This package may not contain compiled components (such as "jar" files) because compiled components
are not open source, even if they were built from open source.”

BTW that checklist was quite useful perhaps we should put it back somewhere?

Thanks,
Justin

1.https://web.archive.org/web/20161120035911/http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list
2. https://web.archive.org/web/20160803190705/https://incubator.apache.org/guides/release.html