From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject [REQUEST] Please add PR-related item to podling graduation checklist
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2017 01:09:42 GMT
Hello Apache Incubator team --I hope you are all well.
John Ament (copied) suggested I write to you regarding promoting a podling's graduation.
Would it be possible to include a line item somewhere on http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html along
the lines of:
> "PPMCs: please contact ASF Marketing & Publicity at press(at)apache(dot)org if your
project is interested in a formal press release announcing your graduation."

I ask because we need enough time to prepare press releases, getting testimonials, editing/review
process, etc. And example of a TLP press release is https://s.apache.org/u67z
Too often what's happening is that once the submission request to the Board goes out, the
podling starts tweeting that they're graduating (incorrect/inappropriate). Or that they're
up for graduation (OK, but iffy).
When the Board passes the resolution, everyone tweets. OK, fine, it's time to celebrate.

Then the project comes to me saying "oops: we need press..." and I wind up scrambling to get
everything done in a timely manner so that the press release doesn't happen weeks after the
Board passes the resolution (= no longer "news").
The past several press releases that have gone out are a result of me seeing that the podling's
proposal has gone to board@, and me writing the VP stating, "I see that you're preparing to
graduate. Do you want a press release? If so, let's work together ..."

Seeing that most podlings need a couple of weeks to pull their content together --particularly
if soliciting supporting testimonials from the community-- starting our preparations as part
of their graduation checklist would be hugely helpful.
And, even if the graduation doesn't happen for some reason, at least we're ready.

Thanks in advance for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you!
Kind regards,Sally
Vice President Marketing & PublicityThe Apache Software Foundation = = = = =  vox +1
617 921 8656gvox +1 646 598 4616skype sallykhudairi