From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Replacing Incubator Release Management guide
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2016 03:10:55 GMT
All,

I'd like to propose outright replacing the Release Management guide [1]
with a new page [2].  This is based on input received from podlings
struggling to create releases, as well as research done against the overall
ASF policies.

The main problem is that the original page [3] has some long standing debt
within it.

1. Its listed as a draft.  This gives a lack of confidence in its validity.
2. It duplicates contents with main ASF resources, mainly starting from [4].
3. Even though its draft, its contents are in place out of date or
contradictory.

So rather than try to fix the pages, I'd like to recommend to just start
over on it and start with a simpler page.  Start by pointing to ASF
policies and enumerating exactly what is different in the incubator.  It is
purposely meant to be complementary to the Incubation Policy document.

Assuming we're OK with this approach, I will:

1. Remove the draft notices on the new page.
2. Replace the contents of releasemanagement.xml with these new contents.
3. Remove the additional pages (release.xml, release-java.xml,
release-eclipse-update-site.xml, release_manifest.txt) since they will not
be relevant any longer.
4. Update any links to those pages to instead point to releasemanagement.

John

[1]: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
[2]:
http://incubator.staging.apache.org/guides/draft-simple-release-management.html