From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Omitting "-incubating" suffix in Maven artifact version attribute for FreeMarker
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2016 01:18:40 GMT
Hello,

The last release of Apache FreeMarker (incubating) has these Maven
coordinates:

    <groupId>org.freemarker</groupId>
    <artifactId>freemarker</artifactId>
    <version>2.3.25-incubating</version>

The "-incubating" in the Maven version is confusing for the users, as
it looks as the version number of an unstable release, and it seems
that this causes many to stick to the last non-Apache release from 1.5
years ago. (See the "*" footnote if you want some more details.)

As far as I know there's no explicit requirement for having
"incubating" in the Maven artifact version number. So, I wonder, can
we just omit "-incubating" from the Maven artifact versions from now
on? In FreeMarker's case the Maven groupId doesn't contain org.apache
(I know, it should, but that's a different topic), so I guess there's
less danger of branding confusion here. Of course, the version number
would remain x.x.x-incubating in the file names of the releases
downloadable from apache.org and so on. Also, in case it bothers
anyone, the "name" element in the Maven POM could be changed from
"Apache FreeMarker" to "Apache FreeMarker (incubating)" (or just to
"FreeMarker").

*: For those not working in the Java ecosystem, know that many users
   will not go to the project home page nowadays to find the latest
   version, just look at the versions at the Maven Central. Without
   any place for explanation, "2.3.25-incubating" and such are often
   believed to be development versions. (I have seen a few user
   queries that indicated that too.) It certainly doesn't help either
   that http://mvnrepository.com automatically marks these incubating
   versions with red (~ alpha). Also, on the same place the last
   non-Apache release has almost 5x more usages than the last two
   "-incubating" releases together, which is suspicious. Spring has
   also stuck at that version for some reason.

 Daniel Dekany