From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Beam release 0.3.0-incubating
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2016 14:50:32 GMT

> On Oct 30, 2016, at 6:03 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 10:53 PM Craig Russell <craig.russell@oracle.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> On Oct 29, 2016, at 1:54 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
>> wrote:

>>> I obviously have a different take than you.  I'm more worried about the
>>> derived works aspect of the license as it stands.
>>
>> What part of the release is a “derived work”?
>>

> I consider the library to be the derived work (I know on the JIRA there's
> some discussion over that).
>
> I'm still a bit lost on how Cat X licenses can be included as dependencies,
> seems to go against https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-x

Here’s my take:

I believe the relevant part of legal are
https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#prohibited
and https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#optional

Just to be clear on terminology in this use case: The kinesis library is category-x and cannot
be distributed by an Apache project under any circumstances. And cannot be put into source
control.

The spark-kinesis module that was written by the project and does not contain any library
code is optional and depends on the library. Building the module dynamically links to the
library using the build tools. The module can be distributed in source and convenience binary
forms.

There are no derived works regarding the library and module.

Craig

>> Craig

>> Craig L Russell
>> clr@apache.org