From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2016 10:12:41 GMT
Hi Bertrand, Geertjan,

I too share some of the infra concerns Daniel's pointed out.  For instance,
where it is referenced one large hg repository, I count 33 repositories
hosted on hg.netbeans.org.  Some of them haven't been maintained in a
while, so I wonder if they're relevant or not.

I'm also concerned about the press that this is causing, for instance at
[1].  This is already being compared to OpenOffice.

I would like to understand the project's path forward in case Oracle pulls
out support up front.  Meaning, they provide a grant, but then all Oracle
employees leave. I know you have other companies listed here, but
realistically how much code have they contributed in the past?  At least
one is a CEO of the other company.  I did an extremely cursory view of the
commits in netbeans, and found some people who are recent committers who
are not listed in this proposal.  How are they being accounted for here?

Finally, at least for now, I am concerned over your 3rd party libraries.  I
get that the plan is to become apache compliant, but realistically how much
of a competitive advantage do you lose by losing features such as Hibernate
integration?  Or what about dropping SwingX all together (which I suspect
is pretty core to the GUI)?

- John

[1]: https://twitter.com/sjmaple/status/775608018671132672