From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can you un-open-source a product? Re: [DISCUSS] Olympian Incubation Proposal
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2016 09:01:58 GMT
I think Apache should not take an active part in any forks, as it could
ruin the long-standing approval with the commercial community.

However I think going the Jenkins fork route is the way for these
communities that want to move forward:

Move to GitHub, change the name & logo, clean up IP, actively grow the
community (e.g. add to the GH organisation after 2 pull requests), make
frequent releases (not too ambitious design changes), have nice and
professional looking web pages, etc.

A bit of noise in the process is necessary so the fork gets attention. It
is a hostile fork, but community-backed. Give it a year or two, and the
fork could be stronger and independent - at which point I think ASF would
have less qualms about accepting the new community - it would kind of be
pre-incubated.

A GitHub fork also makes the fall shorter if the original copyright holders
change their mind and embrace Open Development; they can then (at least in
theory) re-merge the communities by approving the new name as "official
successor" and join the effort; perhaps at that point a move to ASF would
be a very good option to form new neutral ground.