From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2016 08:55:52 GMT
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Jim, I would be pleased to pass you the batton. You most certainly will
> be
> > a better mentor than I could be....
>
> With all due respect to both of you guys that's hard to estimate upfront
> ;-)
>
> Unless one of you envisions constraints like lack of time that would
> prevent you from participating adequately, I suggest that you both
> stay on board as mentors, you can always resign from mentorship at any
> time if we find that we have too many mentors during incubation.

When I was asked to became a mentor, I accepted. That was an obvious
decision. Now, I really do think that having too many mentors is not
necessarily a good idea. I rather prefer having someone like Jim with a
very deep knowledge on how The ASF work, especially for such a project,
with potentially "political" interactions, and more important, a lot of PR
to deal with. NetBeans is not one of the project we see often at Incubator,
I do think it deserves hot guns.

Better have a hard core set of mentors from the beginning than having a
bunch of people that will quit during incubation, IMHO.

Btw, I really do think that adding someone from Infra is mandatory, due to
the high requirement on Infra this project will have.

My 2 cts ;-)
--
Regards,
Cordialement,