From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 11:57:30 GMT
Hi David,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:14 PM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
> ...While it may not be a requirement to enter incubation, I do want us to
> understand plugins.netbeans.org (and any other pieces of their
> infrastructure)...

> ...I think this is similar to Maven Central - yes, we license maven
> central to a third party and they administer the service. However, if
> the time comes that either Sonatype or the PMC kill that off, Maven
> Central can't just 'go away'...

First, as discussed I think we should remove the plan to migrate
plugins.netbeans.org from the incubation proposal - that migration
will need to happen but it doesn't really impact the core NetBeans.

As to the risks of eventually owning that service, I think Mark's
suggestion to distribute the binaries via Maven Central and hosting
just the metadata makes a lot of sense. I suppose that metadata does
not need to be real-time and could be distributed via our existing
mirror system.

As you indicate, we would anyway need to help find a solution if Maven
Central were to disappear so putting more stuff here does not make
things worse.

-Bertrand