incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Geertjan Wielenga <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 14:34:45 GMT
Yes, the timing is quite good, given what's happening with Kenai. I imagine
that everything will transfer from NetBeans to Apache in stages, as
outlined near the start/middle of this thread. Indeed,
would be one of the last things to migrate, though many solutions are
imaginable, e.g., if not at Apache, then one of the organizations providing
individual contributors to NetBeans Apache might volunteer to host them,
for example. Or a university or school where NetBeans is used could
volunteer. In an absolutely worst case scenario, though still doable, every
author of a plugin would host that plugin themselves and we'd simply
aggregate all the update centers (i.e., these are simply XML files pointing
to the plugin binaries) from Apache. Even that is doable, though not ideal.
So solutions aplenty.


On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Ate Douma <> wrote:

> On 2016-09-15 14:15, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> Hi Incubator PMC,
>> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Geertjan Wielenga
>> <> wrote:
>>> ... ...
>> At this point I ask anyone with concerns or questions that haven't
>> been addressed so far and would prevent us from voting on this
>> proposal to chime in.
>> Based on the discussions in this thread we have added Mark Struberg
>> and Jim Jagielski to the proposal as mentors. Daniel Gruno mentioned
>> the need for someone from ASF infra as a mentor, if needed it's easy
>> to add a mentor later, or Daniel just confirm if you want to join.
>> Emmanuel L├ęcharny was unsure and hasn't confirmed AFAICS, he can also
>> be removed from the list later on easily if he wants to leave, that's
>> no big deal.
>> I have changed the SIR03 special infrastructure requirement (migration
>> of to exclude it from the incubation process as
>> discussed here - we have envisioned possible solutions and realized
>> that incubating NetBeans is not necessarily dependent on that, and I
>> think the project can address this in due time.
> One potential caveat is that, which is currently
> hosted by Oracle, will have to remain active as is, at least for the time
> being.
> But the transfer of the domain to the ASF also is part of
> the proposal.
> So, how will that work, and can (and will) Oracle remain hosting and
> managing it while the domain ownership has moved to Apache?
> Or maybe the domain transfer needs to be postponed, for this one reason?
> Furthermore, AFAICT all of the portal is hosted/running on
> Kenai.
> And Kenai is slated to be shutdown by Oracle next year April.
> So one way or the other, we (Apache, NetBeans project) will need to think
> of how to play this out.
>> Are there other things to discuss that might affect our vote on
>> accepting NetBeans?
>> I'm planning to start the vote in about 24 hours unless things still
>> need to be discussed.
>> -Bertrand
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> For additional commands, e-mail:
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message