From Wade Chandler <cons...@wadechandler.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:38:26 GMT

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 09:28, Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 09/14/2016 03:17 PM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
(well, not always,
>> sometimes we've had syncing problems). My feeling is that since Apache
>> doesn't support forums, we could simply drop them. No need to convert the
>> forums to mailing lists, instead our mailing lists will need to be moved if
>> possible to Apache's mailing lists, while the forums can simply be dropped.
>> That would be my proposal for this, though some NetBeans community members
>> may differ and indeed it will be good to explicitly list this so that we
>> can track it when moving forward into incubation.
>
> While not a forum in the traditional sense, lists.apache.org <http://lists.apache.org/>
does offer
> interacting with lists without having to use a separate mail client. You
> just log in via oauth and then read/write stuff :)

Wow…all these years using the Apache lists in some way or another I never knew about that.
That is pretty cool, and I do think it could replace forums. Certainly users have to get used
to anything new. I think the Apache OAuth button, and the Mozilla Persona buttons, should
perhaps be slightly different. The button itself could read “Apache Commiters Login” with
a sub-link bottom right justified “using Apache OAuth” and “Apache Users Login” and
a sub-link bottom right justified “using Mozilla Persona”; just to make it more intuitive,
but certainly works, and is awesome! I had never used Persona, but it was easy to setup and
get going.

Wade