From Wade Chandler <cons...@wadechandler.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 12:57:11 GMT
On Sep 15, 2016, at 08:15, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Incubator PMC,
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Geertjan Wielenga
> <geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> ... https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/NetBeansProposal ...
>
> At this point I ask anyone with concerns or questions that haven't
> been addressed so far and would prevent us from voting on this
> proposal to chime in.

NetBeans has installers, and those installers inevitably bake in some things. ATM they provide
both Tomcat and Glassfish. I assume that could be changed to TomEE or what ever, but would
like to know what limits to bundling of various binaries there are during build time to build
artifacts. Too, is it possible to provide an installer which bundles as part of its runtime,
to run on the host operation system, a JRE, or is this problematic? What about an installation
which installs a JDK for the user (combo installers)? Is there any precedence for this with
other Apache projects? I’m not sure this matters for incubation, but would like to know
what we’ll be able to do going forward as a community member who likes students and new
programmer users to be able to get up and running quickly without having to have as many pre-requisites;
this is handy for trainers as well.

Thanks,

Wade