From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Fluo Parent POM 1-incubating (rc2)
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2016 20:10:54 GMT
On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 11:14 PM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> No it doesn’t put the files in the mirrors. [6] The dev area is not
> mirrored. You can release them with a simple svn move command.

Since the policy allows for the use of the staging repositories at
repository.apache.org for voting, and because that is already automated by
Maven and the configuration in the ASF-wide Parent POM, I think it's easier
to stick with that for now.

However, because also staging it in SVN would make it easier to do a
release with "svn mv", I'll investigate automating uploads to the SVN
/dist/dev area during the "mvn release:perform" executing when the upload
to the Nexus staging repository also occurs.

> > Regarding "apache-" as a filename prefix
>
> It’s a good idea as it may give you some extra legal protection and make
> it clear from a branding point of view that it’s an Apache project. Is it
> required by policy? Not that I’m aware but most projects I’ve been involved
> in do have apache in the release name.

I think I understand some reasons for not doing this for Maven projects
(excessive redundancy in the Maven GAV coordinates, and because it would
make it harder for forks/vendor distributions to build variants without
renaming all the artifacts to avoid trademark violations), I wonder what
some of the reasons non-Maven projects at ASF, like httpd, don't do this in
their release artifacts?