From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Fluo Parent POM 1-incubating (rc2)
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2016 22:57:14 GMT
Hi,

> The question of trademarks and groupIds has come up before (
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/24c6270458faf64da351027cde5c74e935d6b5760b511b4e2f0c6b98@1388455319@%3Cprivate.accumulo.apache.org%3E),
> but in those circumstances, the conflict was much more direct (reuse of the
> "org.apache.*" groupId in maven artifacts). I would think that the
> "io.fluo" groupId would clearly indicate this is a separate organization,
> clearly distinct from Apache. If the simple reuse of the word "fluo" is
> enough to trigger a branding issue

It can be.

> , then I would imagine things like "maven-checkstyle-plugin" reusing the word "checkstyle"
while it depends on
> a 3rd party "checkstyle" artifact would be similarly concerning

No they are not as maven has a long history of working this way so it easily understood what’s
Apache and what isn’t. This is pointed out in on one of the trademark policy pages.

> Further, there's lots
> of third party websites which have ASF project names in their domain name,
> twitter handles, etc...

If there are that’s issue and they should be looked into, for domain names policy see [1].

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/domains.html