From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC3
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 15:12:48 GMT
Hi John,

Given the state of Apache documented processes, I think it was perfectly fine to close this
vote with a RESULT. I was not confused after reading

>>> We will correct the noted problems and submit a 0.8.1-RC4.

Recognizing that this document is (still!) in draft status http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#note-votes

"It is conventional to end a VOTE thread with a RESULT post tallying the votes cast. To preserve
the thread, this should be done by replying to the original VOTE post and adding a [RESULT]
prefix. The subject may be retained as is or edited to indicate the result."

I have seen both positive and negative vote results announced as results.

If we expect folks to follow the proposed rule “Usually when a vote does not pass, the person
initiating the vote sends out a [CANCEL] rather than a [RESULT] (result inherently is treated
as a "it passed" email).” we should publish this rule somewhere.

Regards,

Craig

> On Jul 18, 2016, at 4:38 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>
> ASF votes don't complete in 72 hours unless the required binding votes are
> placed.  In this case you did not get +3 binding votes (you got +2 and -2,
> which yields 0).  Its not clear from this email whether you're saying the
> vote has passed or not.  Usually when a vote does not pass, the person
> initiating the vote sends out a [CANCEL] rather than a [RESULT] (result
> inherently is treated as a "it passed" email).  Cancel makes it clearer
> that you're withdrawing the vote due to the issues raised.
>
> John
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:00 AM Kam Kasravi <kamkasravi@yahoo.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi John
>> The vote period has ended and I'm indicating that we will reissue a new
>> candidate release package in lieu of the down votes.Do I need to explicitly
>> say 'cancel' the vote?
>> ThanksKam
>>
>>    On Sunday, July 17, 2016 7:36 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Did you mean to cancel this vote?
>> On Jul 17, 2016 22:29, "Kam Kasravi" <kamkasravi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The results are in and voting is now closed.
>>>
>>> [2] +1 Release this package as gearpump-0.8.1
>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré (binding)
>>> Andrew Purtell (binding)
>>>
>>> [2] -1 Do not release this package
>>> Justin Mclean (binding) missing DISCLAIMER and LICENSE problems
>>> John D. Ament (binding) missing DISCLAIMER
>>>
>>> We will correct the noted problems and submit a 0.8.1-RC4.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Kam

Craig L Russell
Architect