From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Pirk Incubation Proposal
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:27:31 GMT
Nope. It was just a concern, but if others don't feel it is, no worries.

Just wanted to raise it before it became one later.

Cheers,
Benjamin

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Witt [mailto:joe.witt@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 11:26 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Pirk Incubation Proposal

Benjamin,

The correct way to refer to any Apache project is 'Apache Foo'

I look forward to hearing people say 'Apache Pirk'.  Now matter now many times I try to say
that quickly it sounds good.

Was there any other concern about the naming other than transposition of characters?

Thanks
Joe

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com> wrote:
> Say it 100 times real fast to someone over a low-grade cell connection. Type it 50 times
as fast as you can without looking at the screen. Or just swap the middle two letters...

> Mostly, if there's a chance it will be heard, read, or typed incorrectly it should--if
it can--be avoided. This one just seems too easy to get wrong.

> Hope that helps!
> Benjamin

It's too close to things that could easily be offensive or misunderstood.

>> My personal recommendation would be "Piranha"
>>
>> http://www.morewords.com/ has several more options if you search for `pir*` or `*pir`
or even `*pir*`.

>> Beyond that, it looks like you're off to a great start!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Benjamin

to provide a landing place for robust, scalable, and practical implementations of PIR algorithms.
The initial scalable PIR algorithms of Pirk were developed at the National Security Agency.

>> == Background ==
>>
>> Private Information Retrieval (PIR) is an area of computer science and mathematics
that enables a user/entity to privately and securely obtain information from a dataset, to
which they have been granted access, without revealing, to the dataset owner or to an observer,
any information regarding the questions asked or the results obtained. Employing homomorphic
encryption techniques, PIR enables datasets to remain resident in their native locations while
giving the ability to query the datasets with sensitive terms.

>> == Rationale ==
>>
>> Although PIR has been in existence for over twenty years, it has largely remained
an academic discipline with very little robust or scalable implementation. Pirk not only provides
implementations of novel scalable PIR algorithms, but it provides a framework into which robust,
scalable, and practical PIR may be developed.

>> Pirk fits well within the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) family as it depends on
numerous ASF projects and integrates with several others such as Hadoop and Spark. We also
anticipate developing extensions/adaptors for several other ASF projects such as Kafka, Storm,
HBase, and Accumulo in the near future.

>> == Initial Goals ==
>>
>>  * Ensure all dependencies are compliant with Apache License version 2.0 and that
all code and documentation artifacts have the correct Apache licensing markings and notice.

>>  * Establish a formal release process and schedule, allowing for dependable release
cycles in a manner consistent with the Apache development process.

>>  * Establish a process which allows different release cycles for the core framework,
extensions/adaptors, and additional algorithms.

>>  * Grow the community to establish diversity of background and expertise.
>>
>> == Current Status ==
>>
>> === Meritocracy ===
>>
>> We will actively seek help and encourage promotion of influence in the project through
meritocracy. We will discuss the requirements in an open forum. We will encourage and monitor
community participation so that privileges can be extended to those that contribute.

>> === Community ===
>>
>> Pirk currently has a community of developers within the U.S. government. In open
sourcing Pirk we plan to grow the community to a broader base of industries and will work
to align the interaction of our existing community.

>> === Core Developers ===
>>
>> The initial core developers are employed by the US Government. We will work to grow
the community among a more diverse set of developers and industries.

>> === Alignment ===
>>
>> Pirk was developed with an open source philosophy in mind and the Apache way is consistent
with the approach we have taken to date. Further, Pirk depends on numerous ASF libraries and
projects including Hadoop, Spark, Commons, and Maven. We also anticipate extensions and dependencies
with several more ASF projects, including Accumulo, Avro, HBase, Storm, Kafka, and others.
This existing alignment with Apache and the desired community makes the Apache Incubator a
good fit for Pirk.

>> == Known Risks ==
>>
>> === Orphaned Products ===
>>
>> Risk of orphaning is limited though it is important to grow the community.
>> The project user and developer base is growing and there is already operational use
of Pirk.

>> === Inexperience with Open Source ===
>>
>> The initial committers to Pirk have limited experience with true open source software
development. However, despite the project origins being from closed source development we
have modeled our behavior and community development on The Apache Way to the greatest extent
possible. We are committed to the ideals of open source software and will eagerly seek out
mentors and sponsors who can help us quickly come up to speed.

>> === Homogenous Developers ===
>>
>> The initial committers of Pirk come from a limited set of entities though we are
committed to recruiting and developing additional committers from a broad spectrum of industries
and backgrounds.

>> === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
>>
>> We expect Pirk development to continue on salaried time and through volunteer time.
The majority of initial committers are paid by their employers to contribute to this project.
We are committed to developing and recruiting participation from developers both salaried
and non-salaried.

>> === Relationship with other Apache Projects ===
>>
>> As described in the alignment section, Pirk is already heavily dependent on other
ASF projects and we anticipate further dependence and integration with new and emerging projects
in the Apache family.

>> === An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
>>
>> We respect the Apache brand and desire to adopt its community building principles.
Our desire is to build and foster an open source community around scalable, robust PIR  which
aligns with the Apache tenets. Further, Apache is a natural home for Pirk given our existing
dependencies and alignment with ASF projects.

>> === Documentation ===
>>
>> At this time there is no Pirk documentation on the web. However, we have documentation
included within the application that details usage. Using incubator infrastructure we will
be rapidly expanding the available documentation to cover things like installation, developer
guide, frequently asked questions, best practices, and more.

>> == Initial Source ==
>>
>> The core codebase is written in Java and includes detailed Javadocs and feature documentation.
>>
>> == Source and Intellectual Property Submission ==
>>
>> The Pirk code and documentation materials will be submitted by the National Security
Agency. Pirk has been developed by government employees. Material developed by the government
employees is in the public domain and no U.S.
>> copyright exists in works of the federal government. NSA has submitted Corporate
Contributor License Agreement to the Apache Software Foundation; the Software Grant Agreement
is forth coming.

>> == External Dependencies ==
>>
>> We believe all current dependencies are compatible with the ASF guidelines.
>> Our dependency licenses come from the Apache v 2.0 and Eclipse Public v1.
>>
>> == Cryptography ==
>>
>> Consistent with http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ we believe Pirk is classified
as ECCN 5D002. In the event that it becomes necessary we will engage with appropriate Apache
members to ensure we file any necessary paperwork or clarified any cryptographic export license
concerns.

>> == Required Resources ==
>>
>> === Mailing Lists ===
>>
>>  * dev@pirk.incubator.apache.org
>>  * private@pirk.incubator.apache.org
>>  * commits@pirk.incubator.apache.org
>>
>> === Source Control ===
>>
>> Pirk requests use of Git for source control (git://git.apache.org/pirk.git).
>> We request a writeable Git repo for Pirk with mirroring to be setup to Github through
INFRA.