From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject What committers need to know about IP hygiene
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2016 20:03:09 GMT
A couple of projects I am mentoring have raised very similar questions recently:
* Do contributions via github PRs require a CLA?
* Do PRs require a JIRA case?

I know the answers to these questions, but I was unable to find them clearly documented. All
committers, including those in podlings, need to be very clear on IP policy. I looked in the
Committers’ FAQ[1] and Guide for New Committers[2] but neither of them explicitly answered
the questions. Searching for answers, I found legal JIRAs [3], [4] but we can’t expect all
committers to find these.

Now, maybe the answer is “Every project must write its own set of committer guidelines.”
But if so, we as the IPMC should be helping podlings do that.

Julian

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html <http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html>

[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html <http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html>

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-156 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-156>