From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ECCN cryptography reporting?
Date Mon, 09 May 2016 16:54:06 GMT
We documented it in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-959
and on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TAVERNADEV/Taverna+Cryptography+review

See also https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-250?focusedCommentId=15272500&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15272500

> Taverna Language (while primarily an API for designing workflows) includes a component
which functionality is data storage in a ZIP file - the encryption functionality of HTTP Components
is however not used, and so Language should not be registered. (unless we make a binary distribution
that includes HTTP Components)

> Taverna OSGi's Download API module is "Sending, receiving or storing information" and
so should be registered because it is using HTTP Components and can do https.

> Taverna Engine's Credential Manager module is doing "information security" and should
be registered.

> Taverna Common Activities are "Sending, receiving or storing information" (talking to
web services) and should be registered.

> Taverna Command Line is primarily running a workflow, and should NOT be registered (unless
you consider a workflow to be primarily sending/receiving information) - however if we make
a binary distribution it would include Bouncy Castle, Derby, HTTPComponents as JARs, and at
that point needs to be registered.

The README notes show the findings in detail. See the individual repos.

We have not done a detailed review on the workbench* modules as we are
not yet releasing them - however our release of the above is currently
blocked on this ECCN registration.

On 5 May 2016 at 02:23, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
> My guess is that this would fall to me.
>
> There is considerable analysis to be done to determine whether filing is
> required.
>
> Are you guys documenting the decision points?
>

> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 4:45 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2 May 2016 at 03:23, Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Formally - would it need to be the Incubator PMC chair sending the
>> > ECCN encryption email?
>>
>> Could anyone from IPMC (e.g. our mentors) do it, or just Ted Dunning?
>>
>> --
>> Stian Soiland-Reyes
>> Apache Taverna (incubating), Apache Commons RDF (incubating)
>> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718